Keeping adults safe
In 2007 an Act was passed to provide legislation to support and protect adults (anyone over the age of 16 years) at risk of harm in Scotland. The legislation covers all types of harm including: physical, psychological, neglect, sexual, financial and self-harm.
An adult at risk of harm is someone age 16 years or over who is:
- Unable to look after their own well-being, property, rights or other interests
- At risk of harm (from another’s behaviour or their own behaviour)
- More vulnerable to harm because of disability or illness
Make an adult support and protection referral
- If you are worried about an adult – take action. They may not be able to speak up for themselves.
- Anyone can make a referral for any adult they are concerned about (including themselves).
Everyone deserves to live a life safe and free from harm.
Harm can be done by anyone; a friend, neighbour, carer, stranger, worker or relative. It can also be self-harm or self-neglect, which involves no one else.
Harm can happen anywhere; in the adult’s home, in the street or in a care home or other setting.
If an adult is in immediate danger, do not hesitate to call Police Scotland on 999.
You can make a referral for on-going support and protection once the emergency situation has been dealt with.
You can make an Adult Support and Protection referral by:
Telephone: 01294 310300 (during office hours, Monday–Friday)
Telephone: 0800 328 7758 (out of office hours)
North Ayrshire Adult Protection Committee includes practitioners from health and social care, acute hospital, voluntary organisations and Police Scotland. Here’s more information about Adult Support and Protection (ASP) in North Ayrshire:
- Summary of key ASP activities 2018-19
- Key ASP statistics and data 2014-16
- Meeting minutes: Aug17 Nov17 Feb18 May18 Aug18 Nov18 Feb19
- North Ayrshire Biennial Report 2016-2018
We have training events throughout the year for colleagues in independent and third sector organisations in North Ayrshire: Adult Support and Protection Training 2019 and Train the Trainer Events 2019.
Joint Thematic Inspection 2017
North Ayrshire volunteered to take part in the first joint thematic inspection of Adult Support & Protection. The inspectors were on-site late 2017; the report was published July 2018. North Ayrshire ranked top amongst the six local authority areas inspected. To find out more, please click on this link to access the final report.