Universal Early Years
Our team supports all families with children 0-5 years in North Ayrshire:
- Assistant nurse practitioners (parenting and nutrition)
- Employability support (We Work For Families)
- Family nurturers
- Health visitors (named person)
- Infant feeding nurse
- Mental health nurse (peri-natal)
- Social workers (early years)
- Speech and language therapists
From ante-natal through to pre-school (54–60 months) we support new parents and babies in their own homes. We visit at planned, key health, wellbeing and infant developmental times. We can give support with breastfeeding, weaning, safety, nutrition, play and financial support.
This early intervention holistic approach is supporting families to give their children the best start in life.
Our health visitors have an important role in supporting women who choose to breastfeed.
Your health visitor can request additional support from our assistant nurse practitioners, or if you have more complex issues, they can request expert support for you from our community infant feeding nurse.
Many organisations and premises in North Ayrshire have signed up to the ‘Breastfeed Happily Here’ scheme. This aims to encourage and support women to continue breastfeeding.
Family Nurse Partnership
Family Nurse Partnership (FNP) is a successful programme that supports first-time young mums of 19 years and under. Specially trained family nurses provide home visits from early pregnancy until children are 2 years of age. We have found that most young women who are offered the programme will take it up.
Family Nurse Partnership aims to ensure improvements in:
- Pregnancy outcomes, including, increase in the number of children born at a healthy weight and reduction in smoking during pregnancy
- Child health and development, including, positive attitudes to breastfeeding and increase in uptake in immunisations
- Parental economic self sufficiency
The programme is also offered to women between 20-24 years who have lived care experience or have more complex needs.
- To find out how we can help, please call 01294 317844
- Universal Early Years, North Ayrshire Health and Social Care Partnership, 5th floor west, Cunninghame House, Irvine KA12 8EE